This is not Government of Karnataka official website. This site belongs to Marriage Certificate Agency. We provide only legal assistance to get marriage certificate from Govt. of Karnataka

Christian Marriage Registrar in Bangalore

2 years 6 months ago #1210 by deepak

Christian marriages in India, under the Christian Marriage Act 1872, are solemnized by a Priest in a church. After the marriage, the priest enrolls the marriage and issues the marriage certificate, thereby endorsing the marriage. A marriage, performed earlier by the Priest of the Church can also be enrolled in this way, by the Registrar of marriages. In order to register a marriage, each party is to make an application to the concerned authority within its place of residence.

The act requires either one or both parties to be Christians. If a personal law of either of the two individuals forbids such a marriage, the marriage would be considered as invalid.

The groom must be twenty-one years and the bride must be eighteen years of age. The consent for marriage should not be obtained by compulsion or inappropriate influence. There should not be any existing valid marriage of either of the individuals with another person.
A written application should be made by either party to the Marriage Registrar of the area to notify the concerned authority of their intention to get the marriage solemnized. If both the parties have different areas of residence, each party ought to make a separate notice to the Marriage Registrar situated within their areas of residence. The application is recorded in the ‘marriage notebook’ and is put up in the office.
Before the certificate of notice is issued, either of the parties should meet the Marriage Registrar in person to ensure the following:
• There is no objection of any kind from anyone
• They reside within the locale of the Marriage Registrar
• If one of the parties is a minor, it is mandatory to get their consent for the marriage
• If father of the minor is deceased, the guardian is required
• The consent of the mother is required only if there is no authorized person is available for such consent

Once a time limit of four days is lapsed after the notice of intended marriage is received, the Registrar issues the Certificate of Notice. The information in the Certificate of Notice pertains to the location of the Church where the marriage ceremony would be performed. The certificate would not be issued if it is genuinely objected by anyone. The certificate issued requires the marriage to be performed within two months from the date of issuance after which, the certificate becomes void.
The following persons are eligible to perform the marriage:
• Persons appointed by the Episcopal, provided that the marriages are performed according to the customs and regulations of the Church of which he is a Minister;
• By a Clergyman of the Church of Scotland, provided that the marriages are performed according to the customs and regulations governed by the Church of Scotland;
• By a Minister of Religion licensed under this Act to formalize marriages;
• By the Marriage registrar or a person who is appointed by him
• Any person licensed under this Act to issue marriage certificates between Indian Christians

If a marriage is performed by an unauthorized person, such a marriage would be termed invalid.

The marriage ceremony requires the mandatory presence of two witnesses apart from the priest conducting the marriage. The marriage cannot be performed if a period of two months is lapsed after the issuance of the certificate of notice.

The stipulated time for performing the marriage rituals has been fixed to six in the morning and seven in the evening. It is to be performed in the Church. The Clergy of the Church are given flexibility in the time and place for performance of the marriage under a special issuance

An application for registration of marriage is submitted by the parties to the concerned authority in whose Jurisdiction either party resides. Marriage is registered in the Marriage Register, by the Registrar who performed the marriage. The acknowledgement slip is signed by both the parties along with their witnesses and is pinned to the register as evidence. Indian Christian marriages can also be endorsed under a special provision without a prior notice.

The following documents are required:
• Marriage application form
• Passport size photographs
• Marriage Certificate issued by the priest who solemnized the marriage
• 2 photographs of the marriage ceremony along with the marriage invitation card
• Age and address proof of both the individuals
• Affidavit ensuring the mental and marital status of both the individuals.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.


This site is hosted in public interest by Subam Associates ,Bangalore.
This site is not affiliated with Government.

© 2018 Register-marriage.com
Designed by jewebdevs.com