This is not Government of Karnataka official website. This site belongs to Marriage Certificate Agency. We provide only legal assistance to get marriage certificate from Govt. of Karnataka

special marriage act registration in Bangalore

2 years 6 months ago #1214 by deepak
The marriage of unmarried couples of different religion will be covered under the Special Marriage Act. The process requires filling up of two forms - one general form with the details and addresses of both the bride and the groom, and the other form specifically for the Special marriage act that requires entering the same details and religion along with the signatures, declarations, photocopies of address proofs and photo identification cards.

The bride and the groom should give the application of intending of marriage 30 days in advance. They must have lived more than 30 days within the jurisdiction of the Marriage officer before giving such notice. During this period, the documents are validated for their details.The Officer checks for any objections to the marriage on legal reasons like earlier marriage with another person or some religious norms, etc. However, objections raised by family members without legal proofs would not be entertained.

Once the notice period is over, they could get married at any time within a span of 90 days, with the original receipt, three witnesses and three separate photographs. The photgraphs are to be affixed and the marriage certificate signed. Three printouts of the certificates are made:one for the Registrar office, one for the bride and the other for the groom. The witnesses also need to sign against their names in the certificate against their names.
After this, the Marriage officer will administer an oath and solemnize the marriage by the issuance of the Marriage certificate.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 6 months ago #1227 by abhishek
Gather all necessary documents and photos necessary for special marriage . Fill this
attached special marriage registration form and go to nearest sub registrar office with application and documents. Now you can get proper advise from sub registrar office in Bangalore.

Attachment specialmarriageforms.pdf not found


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 6 months ago #1228 by abhishek
10) The following fees shall be levied by the Marriage Officer :-

Rs. ps
for every notice of intended marriage or application for the registration of a marriage (to be paid by the parties to the Marriage)

for recording an objection (to be paid by the objector)
for every enquiry into an objection (to be paid by the objector)
for every notice and for every summons to a witness to appear and give evidence or produce a document [to be paid by the objector]

for solemnizing or registering a marriage [to be paid by the parties to the marriage]

10 - 00
for a certified copy of an entry:-
a) in the Marriage Notice Book other than an entry relating to an objection; or
b) in the Marriage Certificate Book (to be paid by the applicant)

2 - 00

for a certified copy of an entry in Marriage Notice Book other than a notice or any other proceeding not already provided for (to be paid by the applicant.

2 - 00
for solemnizing a marriage at any place outside the office of the Marriage officer in addition to the fee in entry (v) (to be paid by the parties to the marriage)

Note:- This fee may be appropriated by the Marriage Officer no travelling allowances shall, however, be claimed in addition.

15 - 00

for making a search (to be paid by the applicant):-
(a) If the entry is of the current year
(b) If the entry related to any previous year or years (for each such year)

The fees prescribed above shall be paid either in person or remitted by money order to the Marriage Officer.

A receipt duly signed by the Marriage Officer shall be issued for all fees received by him under the Act and the Rules. The receipt books shall be bound volumes of one hundred leaves each with folios and counter foils which shall be machine numbered consecutively. All money received by the marriage Officer except the fee mentioned in entry (viii) above shall be remitted into the local treasury.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #1237 by anamika
Both are from different religion . So how the Muslim girl can marry under Christian Act. She need to convert into Christianity for getting married. There is any name change is required?
Also need clarification about validity of marriage. If the girls father challenge the marriage in court what will happen ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 1 month ago #1401 by ameer
Here's I wish to explain some information about one of my friend’s special marriage with US national under the Special Marriage Act. They did not use any consultancy for the civil Marriage in Bangalore , Karnataka.

They chose to get married in Bangalore , Karnataka for two reasons - first, because the groom is from Rajai Nagara and they were planning to live in Bangalore ,Rajai Nagara for the proximate short term and processing their Indian visa (& later PIO card) would be easier with an Karnataka marriage certificate. And second, the certificate would be in English and more easily acceptable in their country also.

They planned to do their marriage in Bangalore and US as well. I advised that getting married legally in two countries was NOT a good idea & technically illegal - instead get married once and make that marriage certificate internationally acceptable by getting the necessary attestation.

For the Special marriage, I strongly suspect things differ from state to state and even district to district. Things like 30 days notice for Civil Marriages are the same but minute document requirements & processing times surely differ. In Bangalore itself the experience at the Sub registrar Rajai Nagara are completely different.

So we chose to get married under the Special Marriage Act 1954 (Civil Marriage) because neither of us are religious and we have the luxury of time on our side. First you have to register the 'intent' to marry at the Marriage Office under whose jurisdiction you fall. From what I saw, this can even be done by parents or an agent (though the form does require signatures of the bride & groom) and basically involves submitting proofs of ID/age & residence proof. (Divorce decrees and Municipal Death Certificates for divorcees/widowers).
Our form said the following documents are acceptable in Karnataka:

*Age Proof - Birth Certificate, School Leaving Certificate, MARK SHEET, Passport
*Residence Proof - Ration Card, Election Card, Passport

All documents had to be notarized (the cheap rubber stamp notarizing, not the wax stamp one with revenue stamps..)

We used bride passport for proof of identity, age & address. groom used his passport (with valid Indian visa) for identity & age, but since her passport does not carry a residential address , we had also brought an extract from his municipality verifying his date of birth, parents, proof of address etc. Even though we had to fill his address on the 'Intended Marriage Form' they never cross checked it or looked at the document (which was in another language, so lucky us!). If you cannot get this you can get a letter from your Consulate. See below.

Another tricky part for foreigners or NRIs marrying in Karnataka is that one of the marriageable parties has to prove residency in the area for the previous consecutive 30 days. If someone does not provide their passport as an identify document we don't know how they would check this, though they did check my passport immigration stamps to see when we had returned from our trips abroad earlier that year. I know in places like Goa where there are lots of foreigners getting married this is uniformly enforced (though obviously there are ways to bribe your way around it with a false police certificate).

Another thing we planned meticulously for (because we read on the internet that it was a requirement) was a No Objection letter from bride Consulate. Basically it was a letter from her Consulate in Mumbai stating all his details (Name, Passport No, Age, Address) and saying that marital status was 'Unmarried' and that according to her country's law there is no impediment to him entering into matrimony with Indian national named ABC, born on etc.
It seems like a pretty important document because how else would you know if a foreigner was married elsewhere. BUT our wonderful Marriage Office didn't even glance at it. Be aware that some people on other forums have said that this was asked of them.

OK so once the intent to marry is submitted you get to pick a date to solemnize the marriage - it has to be at least 30 days after submission of intent, depending on their appointment availability & your choice. They are supposed to post the 'Intended Marriage Notices' up for those 30 days to give time for people to come forward with objections. I'm not sure if they really do!

On the day of solemnization, we had to come with 3 witnesses (each brought 3-4 stamp size passport photographs plus original ID photo proofs & copies). They made us fill declaration form with details of our witnesses & took their ID proof copies. During the 'marriage' the couple and all the witnesses will have to sign the main Marriage register & say their 'vows'. It's basically the most unromantic, bureaucratic procedure ever with lots of waiting involved. The Rajai Nagara Marriage Office refused to let us face each other while exchanging vows and made me face her and recite them.

The original marriage certificate is part of their Register which stays with them. For your 'copy' of the Marriage Certificate they try and tell you to come back after one week, but we insisted and got it on the same day. We did not have to bribe anybody, but were very assertive. They charged another 3500/- without receipt.

Finally we got two copies of original marriage certificate within a day .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 2 weeks ago #1450 by sana
My friend also facing same problem :

How to get inter caste marriage certificate in Bangalore, Karnataka

One of my friend belongs to Hindu religion and he is an native of Mangalore and living in Marathahalli for the past 7 years . His girlfriend belongs to Muslim community and her native is Chikmagalur. Both are working in Bangalore Infosys and they are in good relationship for past 5 years. They tried to convince the parents and they wish to marry with consent of both parents. They tried to convince the parents but the boy parents are ok but the said that they will not involve in marriage and they ask them to get married without their support. Even though he is ready to convert to Islam, the girl parents are very adamant and they are strongly opposing for marriage.

They are very much confused about the inter caste marriage registration in Karnataka. We approached sub registrar tambaram in this regard. He said that inter caste marriage registration in Karnataka will take thirty days and we will send notice to sub registrar office in Chikmagalur. The Sub registrar Chikmagalur will affix the same in notice board for not less than 30 days . further he said that after thirty days, if there is no objection from parents, Sub registrar Chikmagalur will issue NOC in writing. He told that on receipt of NOC they will register the marriage after 30 days from date of notice.

This is impossible , if they send notice, the girl parents definitely will object and they will not allow the girl to go out. So please guide me on the following issues :
1. What is the exact procedure to do inter caste marriage registration in Bangalore ?
2. What are the documents needs to do inter caste marriage registration in Bangalore ?
3. How long will take to do inter caste marriage registration in Bangalore and is there any possibility to complete the registration in one day ?
4. Unser which Act we can do marriage registration ?
5. We can do inter caste marriage registration without any ceremony ?
6. Name change is compulsory if he wish to convert in to Muslim ?
7. What is the benefits available from Government for inter caste marriage couples ?
8. Any separate certificate should we get for inter caste marriage ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.


This site is hosted in public interest by Subam Associates ,Bangalore.
This site is not affiliated with Government.

© 2018 Register-marriage.com
Designed by jewebdevs.com